An important Aboriginal educational experience awaits you on Bangabaoui – a cultural cruise and island tour designed by traditional owners and education professionals specifically for primary, secondary and tertiary students. Let the curriculum come alive!
Be immersed in the culture and heritage of our ancestral forefathers – learn about local indigenous traditions, placenames, languages, stories of the past and more. Visit Be-lang-le-wool (Clark Island) and develop a true understanding of traditional Aboriginal family life and cultural identity.
Through the Bangabaoui School Education Programs experience students will also gain a deeper appreciation of Aboriginal protocols, learn about colonial occupation, our strong cultural leaders, significant moments in Aboriginal politics and the contemporary world of Aboriginal people.
What to expect
- Meet your Aboriginal guides at Circular Quay.
- Be welcomed on board the Mari Nawi and receive a vessel safety briefing.
- Cruise around the Harbour Bridge and Opera House towards Clark Island while significant cultural landmarks are identified and their history and place-names explained.
- Arrive at the island and participate in a comprehensive guided walk.
- Learn about traditional Aboriginal family life, fishing, hunting and other food gathering techniques, land use in the area, the importance of the local flora and dreamtime stories of the past.
- Hear about the significance of traditional body paint, indigenous art and hunting tools. Listen to traditional music and actively participate in traditional dance.
- Once back on board an informative commentary about the area continues as the vessel makes its way past historic Fort Denison on its way back to Circular Quay.